Thursday, April 22, 2010

Quazy for Quilts

I must say I'm not a huge fan of quilts and quilting, and before two weeks ago never thought I would be making one or two for that matter. It all started when my mom gave me a whole pile of fabric swatches. She acquired these from a neighbour who thought I could use them. Knowing I had no more room for fabric in my tiny sewing space, I took them anyways. I was more excited by the challenge of finding a use for the fabric, than by the practical notion that I had no room for these piles of books. This meant only one thing. I had to act fast and use up as much of the fabric as possible. I thought about it, and it dawned on me that this is a perfect way to make a quilt! The pieces are already cut in uniform squares, and they are all coordinated for me! So I started small and simple. No real pattern just squares. A baby quilt for newly born baby Keenan. There were a few tricky moments, but I gave it my all and ended up with this


A fair first attempt. The first quilt was pretty painless, so I thought lets step it up. My grandma's birthday is this week, and we are paying a special visit, so I thought what a nice thing for my grandma to have. She's always making things for everyone else, but when was the last time someone made something for her? So I set out on making a much bigger quilt. And this is what I came up with



It turned out to be more of a bed spread than a quilt, because I didn't have enough batting, but I think it's lovely all the same. When I asked Clayton what he thought he said It's a nice quilt for a grandma.... My grandma loves flowers so I went all out and gave her flowers!

So long story short, if you want to make a quilt, and are scissorly challenged like myself (this means I can't cut in a straight line) than this project is for you. You just need to get your hands on some fabric swatches and your set to go.

2 comments:

  1. OOO! I love quilts! I would love to make my own :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know Jen, it was easier than I thought. Mind you I started with a pretty basic design, but you have to start somewhere! You should make one!

    ReplyDelete